Susan G. Komen New Jersey is a primary resource for women in our 21-county service area who need breast cancer screening, diagnostic and support services. Through annual events including the MORE THAN PINK Walk and individual contributions from donors like you, Komen New Jersey raises funds to support breast health services for women who would not otherwise have access.
In addition to funding breast health programs, the Affiliate also serves as a local resource for patients in need, performs outreach in the form of breast health presentations, advocates for public policy at the local, state and national level, and spearheads an initiative to reach breast cancer survivors.
Where does the money go?
We know our donors work extremely hard to raise money and that often it is for very personal reasons. That is why we make it a priority to honor those efforts by supporting quality community programs and research that will have the greatest impact on breast cancer.
The majority of the money raised by Komen New Jersey and its supporters goes right back to this community:
- Komen New Jersey contributed $25,000 to Komen’s National Treatment Assistance Program for 2019, with funds earmarked to provide direct financial assistance for patients in New Jersey who are struggling with the crippling costs associated with their breast cancer treatment.
- Beginning with a single grant for $28,000 in 1982, Komen has now invested more than $956 million in research, making Komen the largest non-profit source of breast cancer research funding outside of the U.S. government. We currently manage more than 300 active research grants totaling nearly $200 million.
- Komen’s network of Affiliates annually funds nearly 800 community organizations providing education, screening, patient navigation and emergency financial support for those facing breast cancer in their communities. Komen has invested more than $2.1 billion in community grants since 1982.
Susan G. Komen® Global Research Program
This year, Komen New Jersey invested $257,516. toward Susan G. Komen® Global Research Program – our total research investment since 2005 is $5.7 million.
The Susan G. Komen® Global Research Program funds lifesaving research in all areas of breast cancer, from basic biology to prevention to treatment and to survivorship in the United States and across the globe. And with continued support, this scientific research will address some of the most pressing issues in breast cancer today:
- Identifying and improving methods of early detection
- Ensuring more accurate diagnoses
- Developing new approaches to prevention
- Enabling personalized treatments based on breast cancer subtypes and the genetic make-up of a tumor
We have made a promise to end breast cancer forever – energizing science to find the cures is a critical part of this promise. Because of medical research, the death rate for breast cancer is 30 percent lower than it was 25 years ago and more than 3 million women are breast cancer survivors today.
To learn about Komen-funded research in New Jersey, click here.
Susan G. Komen National Treatment Assistance Fund
Komen New Jersey contributed $25,000 to Komen’s National Treatment Assistance Program for 2019, with funds earmarked to provide direct financial assistance for patients in New Jersey who are struggling with the crippling costs associated with their breast cancer treatment.
The Susan G. Komen Treatment Assistance Fund supports those who are facing financial challenges by providing limited financial assistance, education and support services to low-income, underinsured or uninsured breast cancer patients. Financial assistance is available for breast cancer treatment expenses such as oral pain medication, anti-nausea medication, oral chemotherapy/hormone therapy, child care/elder care, transportation to and from treatment, lymphedema care and supplies and durable medical equipment.
To learn more about this program and eligibility requirements, click here.