- About Breast Cancer
- Community Impact
- Get Involved
Breast Cancer Conference 2017
Join us for the 2017 Breast Cancer Conference: Bridging the Gaps to Quality Breast Cancer Care
Friday, November 17, 2017 | 9:30AM-2:00PM
Rutgers University-Camden Campus Center
326 Penn Street | Camden, NJ 08102
Registration is now closed.
For parking and walking directions, please click HERE.
Bridging the Gaps to Quality Breast Cancer Care is a conference for the New Jersey breast cancer care community. The purpose of the conference is to examine issues related to disparities and inequities in breast cancer care and explore potential strategies for reducing disparities and inequities in care. All New Jersey health professionals associated with breast cancer are invited to attend.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
(schedule subject to change/substitutions)
9:30AM–10:00AM: Check-in/Continental Breakfast
Executive Welcome: Shyrea Thompson, Senior Advisor to the CEO for Special Initiatives, Susan G. Komen
Keynote and Distinguished Lecture Presentation: Dr. Antoinette M. Stroup, PhD, Associate Professor, Division Chief, Division of Cancer Epidemiology, Rutgers School of Public Health, Director, New Jersey State Cancer Registry, New Jersey Department of Health
10:45AM–11:45AM: First Breakout Session
Choose one of three. See below for details.
11:45AM–12:45PM: Lunch & Panel Presentation
12:45PM–1:45PM: Second Breakout Session
Choose one of three. See below for details.
1:45PM–2:00PM: Closing Remarks and Presentation of Distinguished Lecture Award: Phoebe A. Haddon, J.D., LL.M., Chancellor, Rutgers University–Camden and Marie O’Toole, Ed.D., R.N., F.A.A.N, Senior Associate Dean of Academic and Faculty Affairs, Rutgers School of Nursing–Camden
2:00PM–3:00PM: Rutgers University—Camden School of Nursing 2018 Distinguished Lecture Reception
Complimentary with conference registration.
3:00PM–4:00PM: Tour of Rutgers University—Camden Nursing and Science Building
Complimentary shuttle bus will leave from campus and make return stops to Camden County Parking Garage and to campus.
MEET OUR SPEAKERS AND PRESENTERS
Click on the photos to learn more about our speakers and presenters:
BREAKOUT SESSION TOPICS & SPEAKERS
Breakout sessions will be held from 10:45AM to 11:45AM and 12:45PM to 1:45PM, allowing participants to attend two sessions of their choice.
First Breakout Sessions (10:45AM-11:45AM)
- Topic: Understanding the Role of Patient Navigators in Eliminating Health Disparities
Speaker: Dianne Hyman, MSN, RN, OCN, Clinical Nurse Educator, MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper University Hospital
- Topic: Closing the Disparity Gap in Breast Cancer Survival between Black, White Americans: Challenges and Promising Practices
Speaker: Shyrea Thompson, Senior Advisor to the CEO for Special Initiatives, Susan G. Komen
- Topic: Addressing the Underlying Biology of Cancer to Produce a More Tailored Approach to Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Speaker: Kahyun Yoon-Flannery, DO, MPH, Medical Director, Kennedy Comprehensive Breast Center, Breast Surgeon, Kennedy Health Alliance
Second Breakout Sessions (12:45PM-1:45PM)
- Topic: The Relevance and Impact of Culturally and Linguistically Competent Health Care
Speaker: Dominga S. Padilla, M.D., Associate Professor, Medical Director, Pediatrics-Division of Adolescent & Young Adult Medicine, Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School
- Topic: Emerging Patterns of Care Among Medicaid Populations
Speaker: Jennifer Tsui, Ph.D., MPH, Researcher, Division of Population Studies, Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Assistant Professor at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Topic: Successful Strategies for Engaging Women and Minorities in Clinical Trials
Bonnie Jerome-D’Emilia, PhD, MPH, RN, CBCN Associate Professor, Rutgers University, School of Nursing-Camden
Patricia D. Suplee Ph.D., RNC-OB, Associate Professor, Rutgers University, School of Nursing-Camden
Panel Discussion: Diversity in Healthcare – Examples from the Field
Overview: Panelists will discuss strategies used to reduce disparities in health and health care on an organizational and community level.
- Candido Africa lll, MD, Program Data and Clinical Manager, New Jersey Cancer Education and Early Detection program, New Jersey Department of Health
- Evelyn Robles-Rodriguez, RN, MSN, APN, AOCN, Director, Outreach, Prevention and Survivorship, MD Anderson Cancer Center at Cooper University Hospital
- Jennifer Boiler, MSW, LCSW, Jennifer L.K. Boiler LLC
This event is presented by: